Tuesday, March 9, 2010

DBP-H

On the 18th of February, Facing released their EP at a show in The Twisted Pepper. They received the CDs on the morning of the 18th, because Last Minute Parnell lucked out. I only heard the EP a couple of days ago because I forgot to pick up a copy for myself at the show.

This was the second show I'd run in The Twisted Pepper. In general, I like the venue. However, I do feel that I was pretty poorly treated on the day of the show and an early curfew was "sprung" on me on when I arrived at the venue, which I didn't really appreciate. I'll get to that later.

The show went great. On a Thursday night, with an event running from 8pm to 10.30pm, over 130 people came through the door.



Overhead, The Albatross had played their first live set at this show. Joe Panama not going completely insane when he was playing the bass was a little weird, even though I'd heard tracks and knew that O, TA couldn't be further from Red Enemy if it tried. They were great. Hats off to them.

Friend? played really well aswell. First time meeting them and seeing them. They're a good band, doing what they do well. Jonathan seemed like a really nice bloke. I'm pretty sure that's his name anyway. I really need to work on being able to remember names the first time I'm introduced to people. It's getting really really annoying.

Enemies only played 4 songs but played them well. I didn't get to watch as much of them as I wanted. It's been a long time since I've watched an Enemies set. Hopefully I'll get to watch one soon, although I think they are taking a break to write new songs now.

Facing didn't have a whole lot of time by the end of the night but they ended up getting through the entire EP, I think, with no breaks, which is impressive. The EP is fairly impressive aswell, especially for the first recording from a new band. Home Recording Parnell did a very good job on the CD aswell.

I should have had the venue until at least 11pm, if not 11.30pm. I could have really used that time. If I knew the curfew was going to be 10.30pm when I was booking the venue, I would have only gotten 3 bands for the line-up, instead of 4.

Fake Blood was playing after my show. Personally, I've never heard of the it but I was told they'd sold over 350 tickets for it and I saw the place after 10.30pm and it was getting very packed. I really would have thought an event of this size would have been booked more than a month and half in advance, which is when I booked TTB for the Facing Launch. Maybe it wasn't, maybe it was but it seems to me like maybe they didn't tell me so that I wouldn't cancel and try to find another venue for my show.

During the setup and sound checks of the show, a group of people and a ladder were bouncing from wall to wall, setting up backdrops and hanging giant white bedsheets covered in fake blood, get it? without even so much as an excuse me. When I was told about the early curfew, nothing about pretty much being in the way during the setup of the show was mentioned. I felt like I was being rushed and as if my business didn't matter. The show pulled in a really good on what is becoming a difficult night to get people out of their homes if it's not a "rave" a Tripod ("Raves" in Tripod are delish) and made them a lot of money at the bar. Pitchers everywhere, like. The bar was constantly busy during the show.

Apart from the venue issues, I couldn't be happier with how the night went. Facing were able to shift 70 - 80 CDs. I was able to work with and help some good friends and that's what really matters. Shout out to PK who helped me out big style with the door.



If you don't have the EP yet. Get your hands on a copy, it's really fucking good.

No comments:

Post a Comment